To view recent events that have occurred at Our Lady’s Secondary School in the area of Biology , type “Biology” into the Search box to the right hand side of this page below the school logo. You will be redirected to a Gallery of Recent Events.
Through the study of Biology :
- Students will employ the processes of science in their investigations and explore the diversity of life and the inter-relationship between living things and their environment.
- Students will develop an understanding and knowledge of life, and in so doing, gain an insight into the uniqueness, function and role of living things, including themselves.
- Students will become aware of the use by humans of other living organisms and their products to enhance human health and the human environment and make informed evaluations about contemporary biological issues.
Differentiation between Ordinary Level and Higher Level:
Ordinary level and Higher level are differentiated on the basis of:
(i) Range of topics: The Higher level incorporates the Ordinary level. At Higher level an extended range of topics is required.
(ii)Depth of treatment: The Ordinary level course provides an overview of biology and its application to everyday life. At Higher level a deeper and more quantitative treatment of biology is required.
- In the course of their studies, students will undertake a range of practical work, laboratory work and fieldwork.
- Students will carry out these activities over the duration of the course.
- A record of this work will be retained.
- The syllabus will be assessed in relation to its learning objectives through a terminal examination paper.
- All material within the syllabus is examinable.
- Practical work is an integral part of the study of biology and is assessed on the examination paper.
Career Opportunities for Biology:
Dentistry Marine Biologist
Nursing Hair Dressing
Physiotherapy Childcare (child development)
Radiotherapy Sport Science
Food Science Sport/Fitness Instructor
Dietician Agricultural Science
Forensic Science Equine Science
Biotechnology Biology/Science Teaching
Environmental Science Occupational Therapist
Speech and Language Therapist
Young Scientist Competition 2012
Biology students performing demonstrations on Open night