Leaving Cert Applied will identify and address the educational needs of the students who use the Leaving Cert for certification purposes as distinct for selection for higher education.
What is it?
• Two year duration.
• A distinct, self contained programme.
• Continuity and progression from the Junior Certificate Programme.
• New Teaching and learning methodologies.
• Educational Experience of an active, practical and student-centred nature
• Content and activities with a significant out-of-school linkage
• An integrated cross curricular approach in planning and delivery
• Will have available appropriate range of modes and techniques of assessing pupil progress
LCA’s three main elements are: Modules, Tasks, Exams.
The three subject groups are: General Education, Vocational Education, Vocational Preparation.
The Student Task:
• a substantial piece of work which takes at least 10 hours to complete
• Practical activity, applying knowledge and skill
• Integrates Curriculum
• Nine tasks to be completed in two years
• Tasks designed at school level
• Individual or group tasks
• Develops experience of Senior Cert and VPTI
• Short term achievable goals
LCA students will have the following exams: English and Communications, Vocational Specialisms, Mathematical Applications, Gaeilge Chumarsaideach, Modern Language, Social Education.
Students who complete LCA will be eligible to progress to many programs certified by FETAC, leading to FETAC level 2 awards.
Extra Curricular Events to date:
Cheque presentations to Castleblayney Cancer Care from Our Lady’s
LCA Presentation: Members of the LCA class make a presentation to representatives of Castleblayney Cancer, Tracey Liddy O’Connor & Mary Connolly, the proceeds of their Coffee morning on Thursday 15th Sept.
Tracey Liddy O’Connor and Mary Connolly of Castleblayney Cancer were delighted to visit Our Lady’s Secondary School during the week to receive 2 cheques, the proceeds of 2 different fundraising events in the school.
The LCA class opted to be part of Ireland’s biggest coffee morning and baked and provided exquisite refreshments for the staff which they served up on the morning of Thursday 15th Sept. They raised a grand total of €412 which they were delighted to present to Castleblayney Cancer.
Well done to all concerned.